Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving


Even though Thanksgiving has always been a day of thanks for my family and I, I always have that carb-counting, "I shouldn't eat that" cognitive reaction to the table feast full of glorious carbohydrates. Over the last few year things that I am grateful for have definitely outweighed the headache that can become Thanksgiving dinner. The thought kind of just hit me the other day that this year one of the things that I am most grateful for is also gonna be the sweet relief to the normal stress of Thanksgiving dinner. Sure, I know, things are not so different when it comes to the carb-counting and the "I shouldn't eat that," but holidays such as the feast-filled Thanksgiving have always been one of those special days where I could eat the stuffing, the mashed potatoes and the apple pie without worrying about whether or not I should. My mom and my doctor when I was a kid made that deal with me, that I could have special days like this. It was a promise. But just because they say not to worry, but it's not that easy to turn off the d worry, even when momma says its okay. Its the little things about the Omnipod that will make this so much sweeter. If I bolus at 2, and decide I want more, I'll bonus again for my second plate. If I don't get it right the first time, I'll just hit a button, and fix it. It won't get sick of shooting up, and say "screw it" and just let myself get high, resulting in a headache and nausea for my day of thanks. My gratitude on Thanksgiving will be highlighted by my being able to willingly take care of myself and enjoy all of the festivities. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

Here is a picture of my nephew checking out my pod for me, making sure its secure.

4 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Enjoy girl and eat up!!! We only did Thanksgiving on shots once...about 2 months after Joe was diagnosed. He was 3, I wrote down everything he ate, he HAD to have his pie right after the dinner to prevent yet another shot. Dave's whole family was there...seeing "d" in Joe's life for the first time...the looks on their faces still haunt me...that Thanksgiving sucked. Anyway...I am so grateful for the pump.

    ReplyDelete