Saturday, July 3, 2010

R.I.P. Little Lab Mice, Thank You for Your Sacrifice


So this is pretty big. Since I'm still researching, trying to understand it all, I can't fully explain what is happening or how it all works, but here is the source of my excitement: on April 4th a group of Swiss scientists, Pedro Herrara the senior author, published a paper in a journal called Nature that expressed their research concerning beta cells and alpha cells. Their study, to my understanding, consisted of destroying the beta cells in their lab mice (essentially making them artificial type one diabetics), and then observing them for a matter of time. After observing these mice, the scientists discovered that Alpha cells, which I never really even heard of because it was thought that they had no purpose concerning diabetes, could actually transform into Beta cells and take the place of those that were destroyed.
WHAT!? This is the stuff of science fiction, it is truly radical. I can't hardly believe it. What if this could work in humans? What if when people, diabetics, ran out of their supply of beta cells and their body just told the other guy to stand in, like "We're outta Beta already? Hey Alpha, do you mind taking over? Thanks!" I don't know, it sounds too good to be true, it sounds unreal, but this feels to me like the beginning of the solution.
Here are the issues for scientists to tackle next: for one, mice aren't human, and I guess that sometimes mice-related studies don't always translate well into human studies. O.K., I get that. Number two, there is a second component to being a type one diabetic, and this is the biggie: my body hates me. That's a little simple and self-piteous, but that's what it is. A type one's immune system attacks itself, or I should say, it is the immune system that actually destroys the beta cells; consequently, making it impossible for the pancreas to transform consumed glucose into insulin, and starving the body of it's necessary nutrients. This famine of all of the body's cells causes it to start feasting on fat, muscle and organs. As we all know, it is fatal. Without our insulin injections we will die in a matter of days. It is a disgusting and painful death, as I know, because I have attempted to kill myself, getting very, very close, several times. This is nothing new. Most of you have been there and seen it, smelled it. So the immune system is like my enemy as well as my friend in need. Scientists must find a way to make it cooperate, so that we can live a more fulfilling life.
What does this mean to me? This could be it. I held on to this life, changed nearly everything about my lifestyle in order to do so, and it was just in time. I would already be dead if I hadn't have changed when I did. I have no doubts. I would be dead. I never would have imagined something like this could be possible, but it just might be. This could be the day I remember as the day the miracle was revealed to me. A CURE! A cure I never even dream about anymore, not for a long, long time. My hopes are higher than a hippie at Woodstock. It may be a long time from now, but I am sure it will be in my lifetime. I just know it.
I would like to thank Victoria Summerfield Cavener, an old friend, who works on an American research team for diabetes and cell functions, who is a part of this discovery, and who thought of me enough to message me and explain it to me so I could grasp ahold of my basic understanding. She works with her father, a brilliant man, and I would like to thank him also. As well as, of course, Herrara and his Swiss team. And I could never forget all of the brave little mice who were harmed so that this wonderful discovery could be achieved. Thank you, little mice.
Read more about the study on this link http://health.msn.com/health-topics/diabetes/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100256592

No comments:

Post a Comment