Monday, July 19, 2010

Normal's A Setting On the Washing Machine

Sometimes it still just really blows my mind how difficult it is to even try to be in control of my diabetes. Often I feel like I'm just not cut out for this, or I get hung up on the things I cannot have (or choose not to have for the sake of better control). I also get embarrassed (irrationally so) when I have to explain why I'm doing something or why I can't have something. I've been fortunate that the kind of people I typically surround myself with these days know a lot about diabetes, and I have not found it necessary to explain everything about that part of my life (but if I do, they usually have a base of knowledge). However, this week, when I went out and made some new friends (in a rare burst of feeling sociable), and my diabetes slipped its way into conversation, I once again felt like the odd little duck. I'm sure that lots of people (if not everybody) feel that way every once in a while, and its nothing to get a complex about, but I do get sick of being different, you know? As the day of the endocrinologist gets closer and closer (August already!), I can't help but think that the Omnipod could change so many things for me, from the physical (my control) to the mental aspect. This is my hope, though I'm not holding out for some profound sense of normalcy, "normal's just a setting on the washing machine," but all of the work and the lifestyle adjustments will result in a change for the better, of that I am sure. I wonder if, given some time, feeling diabetic will mean the same as it does to feel diabetic right now. Once again, time will tell, and I will let y'all know.

No comments:

Post a Comment