Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stuck On You



I had the strangest sensation the other day. It was a pod change day, and I was trying to decide where to put it next. I went through the list of where I've had it before, weighing the pros and the cons of each. On the back of my arms I hit it often while driving, and walking close to walls and doors (I'm already a little clumsy), and on my stomach I always knock it around when I'm reaching for things in cabinets or doing dishes (which happens a lot, I'm only 4'11"). Because of my social calender this month (sort of on vacation from the hospital) certain placements would make it difficult to wear the clothes (tight) I would like to wear, like on my tummy (I look like I have a hernia) or my thighs. As I was going through my next pod placement, taking these things into consideration, like a static shock it hit me...
SERIOUSLY! These are my issues right now? How my pod placement affects my party wear? These are not the type of things I would have thought to worry about as a needle diabetic.
Of course, I still stress the bgs I haven't been able to get in range yet since starting Omnipod, but I'm not as stressed about it because I know it's coming as long as I keep working with my coach on it. I know this system works, where as I never had faith in trying to control it with the blanket sliding scale system I used with Novolog and flat rate Lantus injections. I can already see positive results reflected in all that Omnipod, and Insulet Corporation for that matter, has to offer.
Either way, I feel the need to point out, to myself more than anyone, that I know somewhat the nature of the d after nearly 15 years, and I know not to have the expectation of complete control. This stuff will always vary from day to day. I have days where stress alone raises my bgs. Things like where I choose to work out (outside or in), taking my nephew to daycare or keeping him home, a night spent emptying urinals and taking vitals versus a night of pre-op prep and turning patients at work or a day spent cleaning instead of a day of paying bills (or spent on the phone trying to avoid them, that is). Everything is a variable, and the numbers prove it. The only way to control this is to not let the swings (in moods and numbers) of one day affect the care and the hard work put into it the next day. To not let the confusion and discomfort caused by the d make you lose faith in all of the dedication put forth in order to achieve a long, happy, healthy and untormented life. Because that is what happens when you lose hope of a succesful diabetic lifestyle and let the d control you, you are tormented every day.

2 comments:

  1. All the variables....AHHHHH!!!!!!!

    I'm happy you're loving your new pod :) Hope you find the perfect place to put it for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that your biggest worry is the placement...for fashion-sake!!!

    The last few sentences of your post helped me. We have had some rough few days with really scary lows and I was a little down (I am also hormonal...so that doesn't help). I am on the mend mentally. AND hopefully Joe's lows won't be so bad as I am backing off of his insulin.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete