Tuesday, August 17, 2010

After too many years I have finally been to see an endocronologist. For the first time in nearly ten years, I have visited a doctor having tried my best to be a healthy diabetic. Good news, my A1C has gone from 13 to 9. To me that is significant, though many people may still gasp at the number. This upsets me. The doctor was pleased with my progress, my family is excited with me, but, unfortunately, it is other diabetics that judge me the most. It is a daily struggle for me to comply, though it does get easier; however, I do it because I have a goal, and even if I don't succeed in my goal, it doesn't matter because it helps me progress with my compliance. I'm so happy that I am finally getting a little better at this diabetes thing. It hurts me when I try to share this with other diabetics (particularly on tudiabetes.org), and I get cut down. So, I just want to get this off of my chest: just because you are a diabetic does not mean you know everything about it. People are different, therefore diabetics are different. Duh. I am guilty of this sometimes, but I am able to stop and remind myself that I am not one to judge. And I truly hate a diabetic with an A1C of 5, who says they are normal because of this, and that the only reason others are not is because they're not being compliant with all of the things that worked for the 5. If that makes sense. I am so brittle, I truly believe that I would achieve such a "normal" number only with a CGM (constant glucose monitoring system) and a pump. All of which an Omnipod can ensure. I share my experiences with other diabetics so that they can maybe relate to and learn from, not so that they can compare. It won't really help to compare. "You are different from me," I want to tell some people, "and what works for you may not work for you." I hate to say this, but especially type 2's. This seems like a very universal concept, applying to life in general and many aspects of it, so, as in many other cases, I don't understand how everybody doesn't get it.
Otherwise, I feel like I am on track with things, thanks for your support! Pump endocronologist on Monday, I am very nervous, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment