Tuesday, May 11, 2010

As I Eat One More Fun Size Butterfinger

Another day of checking my blood, and I'm still doing well in sticking myself. The act itself has never been the hard part for me. It's always been the management. When I was a newly diagnosed kid I was surrounded by doctors and healthcare workers who were (to put it nicely) out of there scope treating a kid with type one. I'm pretty sure they almost killed me. My mom threatened to kill them, and they were actually her colleagues at the time. So I've been checking my sugar regularly for over a week now and it seems like the initial pride in myself has subsided and now I'm just disappointed in the horrific numbers I'm producing. Nothing over 500, thank God, but close a couple of times (I'm embarrassed to admit).
O.k., I see a bad number and I know I have to take a shot. My last sliding scale that came from a doc was three years ago. It doesn't seem to be working or I'm not remembering right. I give doses that are basically just guesses based on gut feelings. They either leave me wanting more (still high) or I over compensate (go too low), very rarely am I on the nose with these guesses. The difference now, with following up on my bloodsugars, of course is the knowledge that what I'm doing isn't working.
I have no doc to call or go to and help me fix this as I am uninsured. I want to be better at this because it's embarrasing and depressing to have had a disease for 14 years and admit that I don't really know what the hell I'm doing. I'll keep checking, though. I just ate a handful of fun size Butterfingers, gave a shot of guesstimated dosage, and I have no idea what to expect when I check my suar before I go to bed. OmniPod would make life so much more simple. I guess I could go back to carb-counting for now. Couldn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment