Monday, May 10, 2010

One Drop at a Time

In the beginning the key to being a compliant diabetic was drilled into me by the doctors, nurses, educators, nutritionists and my mom: test, test, test. Unfortunately, after a couple of years that got very old, so I quit. Not completely, but at a barely existant rate anyways. I lied about the numbers to the doctors, hid candy under my pillow and had my granny pick me up from school every other day because "my bloodsugar was bad." Don't judge me. I went through the stages of grief and was deeply depressed about the whole deal. I also tried to rebel againt taking my insulin shots as an adolescent, but, as you might imagine, that never lasted long. I tried it multiple times just to make sure, so trust me when I say, unlike the testing and the diet, taking your shots is one aspect of the disorder/disease that you cannot side-step. I'm sure most of you understood that fairly early on, but I'm one of those people that if you tell me not to break my leg, it hurts, I just don't trust you and must proceed to find out for myself.
So, 14 years A.D. (after diagnoses) I'm back at the beginning: test, test, test. My mother, whom I live with after trying to make it on my own and failing, has recognized the progress I've made in other areas of restructuring my life and has made an appointment with an endocronologist, whom she is paying out of pocket. This doctor gave me a brochure for the OmniPod Insulin Management System. You should all check out the link because the tech is truly amazing and would be life-changing ina wonderful way. So the doc told me to check my blood sugar at least four times a day for the next three months, non-stop, and come back for an appointment only if I succeed in that. I am currently on Day 7 and I've got to tell you, I was sick of it before Day 1 was over. My B.S. range from decent to "CALL THE DOCTOR!"
Well, Week 1 is over and I still have doubts as to wether or not I can accomplish this beast of a task I've been fighting over half of my life. I hope I can do this, I want it so bad. This blog will help, I think. Please comment with any encouragement you can muster, and I will share my journey with you as well as share some info on the disease I know so well and some tips that might help someone else out there. That would be too cool if this could encourage another diabetic to fight this battle as well. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment