Monday, June 14, 2010

Just Keep Swimming


There has been a confirmed crisis here at Camp Easy, where my days by the sea have been lovely and fret free. It is now Day Three of my personal Strapped for Strips disaster. I have been unable to check my bloodsugar levels since Friday night because my lack of time management left me stripless; consequently, I was forced into action in order to overcome this obstacle before I fell victim to panic and negativity. In these times of anxiety and self-doubt, I find myself quietly urged on by a popular blissfully forgetful blue fish named Dorie in a story about a lost little clown fish called Finding Nemo. Dorie's popular lyrical phrase, "Just keep swimming," has stuck with me and motivated me more than any other I have heard.
So for the last three days I have tried to cover myself to the best of my ability based mainly on the way I feel. This is the method of management I have been using for the last ten years, but these days I am more concerned thorughout the day about my bloodsugar than I ever used to be. I used to just shoot up some units and then I would try my best to forget about my disorder. That's how I would try to manage nearly all of my life. Talk about disorder. Though I may be worried, my status is still quite positive. Today I will update my log book, formulate a new schedule for when I switch to working nights at the VA (coming up soon), and just keep doing what feels like the next right thing, with my diabetes, and as always, with my life in general. Sometimes it's easy to forget what this disease really affects: everything. It's a lifestyle disease, I believe that it affects every single aspect of my life, and that if I can just accept it, just keep swimming, then I can really live with it.
The good news is, I know that when I get my strips I can pick up and check without a problem. My strips are in the mail and I should get them today or tomorrow, most likely. It should be all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment