Saturday, September 25, 2010

How's It Gonna Be Now?

So, today was the day. My pod/ pump day. Its been weird. I woke up early to clean the house a bit since my pump trainer, MJ, was going to come to my mom's house to help me activate my first insulin pod. Bubbling with excitement, I tied my do rag on and cleaned half the house before my phone buzzed and MJ's name popped up on the screen. Instantly I was a little worried. MJ was sick with a stomach virus, didn't think she could make it to the house. She hated calling me to tell me this, she knew that I would be bummed. I told her it was ok, I was sorry she didn't feel well, get better. I tried to sound reassuring. Of course, after I hung up I threw my phone across the room and stomped off to pout. After a few minutes my mom came in asked what happened. Mom wondered out loud if MJ would let us program the basal rate and activate the pod ourselves, working with us over the phone. Because I was feeling pretty negative about the whole thing, I thought it was an awful idea. But she's the boss, and when she told me to ring MJ up again, I obeyed.
Mom took the phone and began chatting her up with that confident, assuaging tone of voice that I envy in her and try to emulate myself when dealing with a difficult situation. Let me first tell you that since mom is an extremely talented RN, and when we met MJ the two of them hit it off, bonding over the whole nursing deal. It didn't even take five minutes before mom said thank you, hung up the phone, and told me to get my stuff ready, MJ was gonna call back and talk me through it. MJ told me there was no way she would've allowed this if my mother wasn't an experienced, knowledgeable health care professional. Everything about my momma is awesome!
So I am now sporting an active insulin pod. It's so sudden, I now do not have to shoot insulin. Lunch was my first pod bolus. As I was entering my carbs I teared up a little. This is it, all I have to do to stay alive is check my bloodsugar, count my carbs and push a few buttons! I feel like I'm cheating, like I'm not doing enough, like any minute I'm going to get sick, go into DKA and have to rush to the ER. I still have some nervous energy I guess. It's harder then I thought to let go of the needle, something that's been conditioned into everything I've had to do over the last 14 years (and 6 months).
I can't stop cheesing. I'm so happy. So nervous. So unsure of what to do with myself now. I can't believe that I'm gonna wake up tomorrow morning and not have to take a shot. It's just so weird to me. How am I gonna handle it when a cure is discovered?

I had internet issues and this post was meant to be set up Saturday. Pictures to come as soon as I find my USB cord.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love D Mamas!!!!!!!! (And, maybe, I like RN's too -- seeing as I've been one for 16 years and all)

    CONGRATS! Can't wait to see some pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWW Jess!!!! I am doing a happy dance here in VT for you! I got choked-up when I read about you tearing up with your first bolus. To go so long without and then working so hard for this goal...it must be so bittersweet.

    Cheering you on girl...cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete