Friday, September 17, 2010

Rockin' this Pump


All that worry for nothing! Met my pump educator face to face today, and she was incredible! MJ, a highly qualified and experienced diabetes educator, told me that she was good at this (pump/ diabetes education) thing, and assured me that she would make me into an Omnipod success story. I told her that I thought I might just love working with her. MJ gave me credit for having my bloodsugars, coverage and food/ carb. logs prepared. I told her that was because I want this, and I would do whatever she deemed neccesary. We dived right into bloodsugar patterns throughout my typical day, carbohydrate counting, sensitivity ratio, pump terminology and a basic explanation of how the pump flows. It took two hours that felt like eight, and fell just short of completely overwhelming me with information. It always surprises me how even after almost 15 years of experience and practice, I can consistently learn such new and fascinating aspects of d if I just maintain an open mind throughout my adventures. So I refreshed on previous knowledge and learned many new things. I was getting tired and my attention was beginning to drift when...
M.J. told me to retrieve my brand new PDM. I turned it on for the first time and felt a rush. She helped me program my adjusted basal and bolus rates. Each button I pushed and setting I ran through got me closer to what I really wanted. Finally, she took out the dummy pod. I hung on every single movement and direction she gave me. I didn't just see and hear, though. I imbibed.
Then, I got my pod out. With a little awkward positioning and second guessing, I filled my pod with normal saline (insulin comes next week, this is my warm up week) and hit all of the corresponding buttons; then, the time had come to hook up. I applied my first pod on the back of my right arm, so it would be easy to show all of my family and friends. After sticking it on really good I waited for the click of the cannula insertion, and even though I expected it, I still jumped when it connected. But I cheesed like mac the whole time.
Since then my arm has gone a little numb from holding it up to show people and stare at it in the mirror. I feel like I'm not happy enough for this turning point. Its only normal saline for the next week, but the day is so close. The day without syringes. No more shots! I don't even know how I feel anymore, its surreal. What will it be like to wake up one day next week and not have to take shots anymore. Its like waking up and not having to open your eyes, just seeing. Maybe...I don't know if that fits. I feel like my whole identity it going to shift. Anyways, my first night was uneventful, even though I kept waking up to make sure it was still there. I'm going to Daytona this week to test howit works on the beach. Wish me luck because if it doesn't do well I might have to figur something out. I'm a beach nut. Thank you all, couldn't have done it without you.

2 comments:

  1. Look AT YOU! SPORTIN' THE SALINE SOON TO BE INSULIN PUMP! WOOT WOOT! I bet your arm is sore...have you been holding it that high for everyone to see - lol. Have a great time trying it out at the beach. I don't know much about the pod, but if it's adhesive is similar to the Dexcom 7+ CGM then you should be good to go. That shit doesn't come off of Joe's arm. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete