Monday, September 6, 2010

What To Do, What To DO?

First of all, I wanted thank everyone, especially my new friends here, for the support and the communication. I wanted to use this post to answer what I feel is one of the most important questions anyone has ever asked me. Reyna, a parent of a 7 year-old diabetic son named Joe, asked me what can be done to help him grow up without measuring his self worth in terms of his diabetes. I marinated on this question all day, and even asked my mother how she felt about it. My mother has had more impact on me as a diabetic and as a person then anyone else in my life, so she seemed like a good authority to approach about this.
For one thing, the support I recieved from my family and friends was always felt, but not always appreciated. It's hard to seperate yourself from the "you don't know what I'm going through, so you don't understand" attitude. Especially during my teenage years, through which I rebelled in dramatic and dangerous ways as a diabetic, I would shout this at the people who cared about me most and tried to encourage me to take care of myself. But I always knew I had that support, and I know that is the main reason I made it alive through those tumultuous years. So, though I doubt you need to hear it from me, just always be there for him, even if it seems he doesn't want you to be.
Second of all, it is always significant for me to come in contact with someone who does "get it." When I started this endeaver, I felt like I was just writing a diary, not expecting anyone to read this. But after hearing that other people not only read, but actually identify, I immeadiately felt like this was what was gonna keep me positive and on track with my progress. Communication in sharing our experiences with each other is SOOOO important. We (all people) must have an outlet for all of the emotional stress that our different experiences and situations create in our lives in order to learn how to cope. I highly stress trying to develop a situation in which, as Joe grows up, he can learn to effectively share and communicate, as well as have a little fun, with other diabetics that understand the things that he goes through. It's amazing how much lighter you feel when, after a bad day of unexpected lows (or something like that), you can go out to eat with a buddy with diabetes and just say, "UGHHH!" And they get it. I have to say, my first real experience with this was the year after I was diagnosed when my mother dropped me off at a diabetes camp for kids. It was so wonderful. I had so much fun in a safe environment in which I was surrounded by other kids and counselors that all understood. That is something I would definately suggest for a young diabetic.
I hope this helped answer your question. I also want to say that, if you aren't already aware of this, there's a website called tudiabetes.org that has a special group for parents of diabetics. I believe that this group would definately be able to help you with the struggles you might encounter being the mother of a young diabetic.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica...THANK YOU. I really appreciate the insight...and is it OK if I link to you from my blog? I think I would like to post on this in the next week or so...I feel "d" is more than just a pathophysiologic process...it affects ALL aspects of a person...and the psychological impact is big. I had under-estimated contact with other "d" kids I think. I am planning on sending Joe to a "d" camp next year...and your post gave me the final green light on that idea. I thank you for your thoughtful answer. I will continue to do my best in raising Joe as a happy healthy child with "d".

    I hope you have a great day without "d"-shame my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a link! I agree, that's what makes it so difficult sometimes, it is everpresent, effecting and being effected by nearly everything you do. But so many people learn to grow, cope an live with this, so I always think to myself, so can I! Thank you, and I can't wait to read more about you and Joe, and e=hopefully hear about his time at camp next year.

    ReplyDelete